First Aid Red Cross for Babies and Children
Each year, Emergency Departments treat an average of 140,000 children after an accident at home. Most of these children are between the ages of zero and four. Half of the injuries are caused by a fall, which usually involves injuries to the head, neck or back. Children can also be injured at school and in traffic.
The First Aid for Baby and Child training course gives you the tools to adequately apply first aid to baby and child.
During the practical first aid session, which is led by a Red Cross-certified instructor, students are assessed on the practical actions they can perform. If the student passes this assessment, they will receive a recognised Red Cross First Aid for Baby and Child certificate. This certificate has been approved for foster parents by the national government and complies with the Childcare Regulation Act (Wet IKK).
For anyone who works with children, it is wise or even mandatory to follow the First Aid for Baby and Child course. During this training course, the student learns to assess and treat injuries to babies and children in acute and non-acute situations.
You will also learn how to create a child-safe environment with preventive measures. In addition, the course focuses on common accidents such as a cut lip, poisoning caused by cleaning products and burns.
The First Aid for Baby and Child course consists of an e-learning module and a practical session. During the e-learning module of the Red Cross you learn to recognise the various injuries and what to do in which situation. The e-learning module takes about 4 hours to complete. After completing the e-learning module, you can participate in the practical session. During the 4-hour practical session you will practice all first aid skills that are required for applying first aid to children and babies. Some examples of first aid actions that will be practiced are: CPR, using an AED, applying bandages and applying abdominal thrusts for choking.
For parents or other caregivers, such as grandparents or foster parents. Also for anyone who works with children, for whom it is wise or even mandatory to take the First Aid for Baby and Child course. The course will teach you to assess and treat various injuries to babies and children in acute and non-acute situations.
The following topics are covered:
- Getting yourself and a child to safety.
- Assessing the condition of a baby or child.
- Alerting the emergency services.
- CPR (including the use of an AED)
- Giving first aid to children involves the following: dealing with choking, suffocation or drowning, neck, head and spine injuries, a foreign object in the nose or ear, lost/broken teeth, fever and convulsions, cardiac arrest, unconsciousness, (nose) bleeds, skin issues or burns, COPD, poisoning, foreign object in the eye, lip cuts, fingers trapped in door and severe allergic reactions.
Upon completion of this course, the student is expected to be capable of:
- Providing a safe environment.
- Moving a person to safety.
- Assessing the person’s condition and establishing injuries.
- Alerting the emergency services (EMS).
- Applying Paediatric Basic Life Support (PBLS) and using an AED.
- Administering first aid to a child in case of:
- choking (foreign body airway obstruction)
- (near) drowning
- neck and spinal injuries
- cuts and grazes
- (severe) bleeding
- muscle, bone and joint injuries
- (mild) head injuries
- medical emergencies
- childhood illnesses
- minor accidents
A Red Cross-certified instructor will assess whether you have mastered the required knowledge and skills. If you pass this assessment, you will receive a recognised Red Cross First Aid for Baby and Child certificate. This certificate has been approved for foster parents by the national government and meets the regulations of the Childcare Act. The certificate is valid for 2 years.
Incompany - First Aid Red Cross for Babies and Children
Wij bieden First Aid Red Cross for Babies and Children ook aan als incompanytraject en zorgen ervoor dat het perfect afgestemd is op de unieke behoeften en ervaringen van jouw organisatie. De inhoud en didactiek sluit dan naadloos aan op jullie wensen.
- CEDEO klanttevredenheidscore: 10+
- 112BHV neemt je de administratie uit handen
- Iedere medewerker krijgt toegang digitaal leerplatform